This document is a sub-section of the Terms of Service (TOS), a legal agreement between SkyToaster, LLC and all of our customers. If you use any service provided by or affiliated with SkyToaster, you are legally bound by the Terms of Service (TOS). Read it carefully before signing up and ensure that you understand and agree to all parts. Use of our services implies agreement with this contract.
Any questions regarding this agreement should be sent to email@example.com prior to signing up for service.
What are Resource Usage Policies?
In order to protect against resource abuse or other tragedy, we have limitations on our hosting plans.
The Purpose of These Policies
These policies are in place to protect against poor service. We only impose a restriction if an account is found to violate several policies (or one to a very serious degree) or if it is adversely affecting the server. The large majority of sites, at least 99.5%, will never have to take these limits into consideration. That being said, it is good to be aware of them.
It is important to note that many of these limits can be seen as "soft" limits. They are not actively enforced. If, however, the overall performance of a server is affected, we will contact the account owner in regards to these limits. If an account is found to be in violation of these policies, we will do our best to provide reasonable notice depending on the severity of the violation.
We reserve the right to temporarily suspend an account if it is causing a severe problem. Failure to fully comply with these terms is grounds for account suspension and/or termination. If we terminate your account for violating our policies, you will forfeit all rights to a refund--and none will be given.
This list is not all encompassing. SkyToaster will be the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of the RUP, and reserves the right to deactivate and remove any site for any violation of this policy, without prior notice and without refund.
General Content & Service Policies
Unsolicited Bulk/Commercial Email / SPAM
SPAMing, or the sending of unsolicited email, from a SkyToaster server or using a return email address that is maintained on a SkyToaster server is STRICTLY prohibited. Using SPAM to advertise a site hosted on SkyToaster's network also constitutes as a violation of this provision.
The transmission of SPAM from our servers and networks can cause irreparable monetary and reputation damage. All damages caused by spamming will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. SkyToaster will be the sole arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of this provision.
Any account on our servers or networks that is sending SPAM will be immediately terminated without advanced notice.
Help us STOP SPAM! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately to report a violation of our SPAM policies.
SkyToaster's hosting is not allowed to be used for data backup or storage.
Reselling is not allowed on our Shared Hosting plans. Reselling is allowed for all other products.
- Pirated software
- Bulk Email related products
- Hacking/cracking related websites
- Warez and/or copyrighted MP3s
- Material illegal under United States of America law
- Sites containing or linking to material that may be considered detrimental to the public health, safety, or welfare. (Such as, but not limited to: Anarchists Cookbook, bomb making, weapon information, or anything else that may be considered detrimental or illegal.)
- Any Commands or Scripts designed to attack other servers (Port Scanners, Password Hackers, TCP/UDP Floods, etc.)
This is not an exhaustive list.
Under no circumstance is adult content permitted on SkyToaster's servers or networks. All adult oriented pictures, videos, links, written content and similar is strictly prohibited. Should you require hosting for adult oriented content, please contact a host who specializes in this type of hosting.
Email and Mailing Lists
- Files in excess of 10 MB should not be sent via email.
- No more than 250 e-mails per hour per domain name may be sent.
- Processes should not send outbound mail to more than 25 recipients at any given time.
- POP connections are limited to 60 per hour.
- Any mailing list over 1,000 emails should be sent during off peak times from Midnight to 6am (local to the server).
- Any mailing list must be throttled so that it sends an email every 6 seconds at the very minimum. If the mailing list software you are using doesn't support throttling you must use something else.
- We do not allow you to send to a mailing list you were given or that you bought. This is spamming and we have zero tolerance for this (see above).
- Any mailing list must comply with the rules set forth by the country in which your service is located.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) farms or similar are strictly forbidden.
- Banner rotation services and link exchanges are not permitted.
- Offering Image, File, Document and Data storage and free hosting and email services are strictly prohibited.
- Off-site media storage is not permitted.
- Operating a public mirror site is not permitted.
- Running a proxy or anonymizer, whether publicly accessible or protected, is not permitted.
- Prime bank or bank debenture-related sites, lottery sites, muds or online RPGs, hate sites, hacker-related sites, sites promoting illegal activity, IP scanner or other hacking tools, mail bombing or spam scripts, or forums and websites that distribute or promote warez content are expressly forbidden.
- Bit torrent applications, trackers, and clients as well as any file-sharing/peer-to-peer activities are forbidden.
- The operation of gaming servers (such as but not limited to Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Battlefield1942) are forbidden.
- Web spiders and indexers are not permitted.
- The above mentioned services / web content create undue system load on our servers and should only be run in a dedicated server environment. All violations will be shut down immediately and may result in account suspension and/or termination.
Shared/Reseller Resource Usage Policies
This section only applies to Shared Hosting and Reseller Hosting products.
All interactive chat web applications are strictly prohibited on SkyToaster's servers. This includes but is not limited to chat applications written in PHP, Perl, CGI, Python, Ruby, etc. in addition to IRC or IRC bots. Any web application that provides 'real-time' chat is not permitted. Shoutboxes, Chatboxes and other web based chat programs other than those specifically provided by SkyToaster are prohibited.
Web Applications & Web Accessible Scripts
All web applications that are out of date and actively being exploited will be shut down immediately without notice. As a webmaster you should evaluate your web based applications and scripts on a regular basis to ensure they're secure and up to date.
Processes invoked by the web server, cron, shell or any other method should not exceed the following limitations:
- Consume more than 64 MB of RAM.
- Utilize in excess of 30 seconds of CPU time.
- Number of open files should not exceed 64.
- Create core dumps.
- Number of simultaneous processes should not exceed 5.
- Execute a script/binary that forks in a way to create a fork bomb.
- Programs may not run in the background or listen on a network port. If you require a bot, service or daemon, you should consider a VPS or dedicated server.
- All users are restricted to 25 concurrent MySQL connections.
- Each database should not exceed 5 GB of disk space.
- Database queries should not exceed 3,000 per hour.
- Database changes (insert/update/delete) should not exceed 1,000 queries per hour.
- Databases should not be used as a hosted solution. Database access should be used for the web site(s) hosted at SkyToaster.
- Remote database access is for administrative purposes only.
Files and Directories
- The total number of inodes in an account may not exceed 100,000. Every file (a webpage, image, email, php file, directory, etc.) on your account uses up one (1) inode. This is not something we actively enforce and it will only become an issue if a client is causing problems for other people on the server. We will of course notify you if this is the case with a full explanation.
- A directory can not contain more than 2,500 immediate child files. This includes sub-directories themselves, but does not include files contained within those directories.
- Simultaneous Apache connections may not exceed 50 from one individual source at any given time.
- Web processes should not fork or spawn sub-processes.
Email and Mailing Lists
- The recommended maximum aggregate number of members for all mailing lists is 2,000.
- Mailing lists larger than 2,000 may be prohibited if the need arises. For large mailing lists, we recommend using an email marketing service.
- No Direct SMTP mailing system scripts are permitted. Mail should be relayed through the local Mail Transfer Agent.
- We recommend running cron jobs less frequently than once every minute. All cron jobs should be optimized to run effeciently, especially those that run every minute. If there is an issue, we will reach out to you with steps to resolve it.
- Our servers should not be used as an SSH bounce point to other servers/networks.
- You may not use the Unix "find" command recursively on directories more than 5 levels deep.